Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Auction Forum Index Auction Forum Index
Free Articles, News, Tips & Support for online auction users worldwide!
Your Relaunched Auction Forum Offering Free Online Auction Help & Advice...

Auction Lotwatch Auctions Home Auction Forum Index Register Memberlist Search Free Auction Tools

Auction Forum Index » New Auction Sites » cheekyoffer Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
cheekyoffer 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
johnem

Hi all,

My name is John, and I don't know about you, but I have got feed up with the same old same old eBay style and biding sites.
Not long ago everyone was starting up auction sites, then it turned into reverse auction site and you have to pay for your bids. Sounds good but ends up expensive (believe me)

Well hold on to your hats!

Have you ever wanted something that is out of your price range, wanted to stay in a hotel that you just can't afford?

www.cheekyoffer.com is the new way of buying and selling.

No longer do you place a bid on an item, wait a week to see if you have won and then get outbid or sniped at the last minute.
With cheekyoffer™, you find the item you want, place a cheekyoffer™ on it, and if it is on or above the hidden reserve, then the item is sold to you there and then.
NO WAITING AROUND.

Some of the items are up to 65% less than the RRP.

You place your items on the site.

This site is going live in early July and we are looking for people to register know, so that a week before the site goes live they can upload all of there products and be ready for the in surge of sales.

The incentive for you to register is all items that you place on the site before the launch date will be FREE to list. NO CHARGE.

SO why not go and have a look and register know and be first in the queue to be part of what is going to a whole new way of buying and selling.

Remember:
Don't Wish For It, Cheeky Offer It.!

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

a whole new way of buying and selling.... 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
Terminator

johnem wrote:

a whole new way of buying and selling.

that'll be nothing like the 'make offer' or 'best offer' that's on many auction sites already then... including eBay.

In my opinion seller's will obviously set their 'hidden reserve' at the buy-it-now level, thereby giving away nothing at all.
I fear you may have to come up with something a bit more original to succeed over the already established eBay-alternative sites out there.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
johnem

Hi Terminator,

Thanks for your reply.

This is a good point you make. Only I think you are missing the point.
Your site like all of the others is an AUCTION site that allows people to bid against each other, statistically the percentage of people on this type of site that "make an offer" or "Best offer". is very low. Most buyers out there are looking for the lowest price and you don’t get this with your type of site, they have become simple shops that charge the highest possible price.

The "make an offer" and "best offer" invariable don’t work, I have researched this type of style auction for 2 years and even if the seller has a reserve of lets say £100 and then someone "makes an offer" or "best offer" of lets say £135, the seller usually rejects and asks for more.

We at Cheekyoffer™ don't, if you place a "cheekyoffer™" on the item and it is on or above the reserve the seller cannot reject it. It is sold.

In the current market conditions people are always looking for a bargain, not the usual Auction style purchase, or for that matter buy bids Auction
With Cheekyoffer™, a bargain at the lowest possible price is exactly what you get, not over inflated prices.

Thanks for you feedback.
More would be appreciated.

BR
John

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
johnem

Also, I think it would be a good idea to talk Fees.

Most sites out there especially one of the leaders, charge extortionate fees because they have the monopoly. And I know you will agree with that.
It is time that someone else came into the market and set a new standard for fees and we are going to do that.

Lots of others have no upload fees, but charge high commissions. Or vice versa.

At Cheekyoffer™, we have a very simple fee structure. Upload fees are:(Cars and hotels do vary)
3 levels:
1. Basic, you upload up to 4 pictures and up to 80 words all for only £1. No matter what the product.
2. Intermediate, you upload up to10 pictures up to 200 words and a choice of many different marketing options i.e. bold etc, all for only £2. No matter what the product.
3. Professional, you upload up to 20 pictures, unlimited words and you can have every possible marketing option, all for only £4. No matter what the product.

Commission on sales: Again this is very simple: (cars and hotels do vary)
7 levels:
1. A selling price of £0 up to £49 = 2.5%
2. A selling price of £50 up to £99 = £1.50 that’s between 3% and 1.5%
3. A selling price of £100 to £199 = £2.00 that’s between 2% and 1%
4. A selling price of £200 to £299 = £3.00 that’s between 1.5% and 1%
5. A selling price of £300 to £499 = £4.50 that’s between 1.5% and 1.1%
6. Above £500 = £10.00 that’s 2% or less
7. No sell, No fee

Now that is a very simple and a reasonable price structure.

Thanks Again and best regards
John

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Terminator

johnem wrote:

The "make an offer" and "best offer" invariable don’t work, I have researched this type of style auction for 2 years and even if the seller has a reserve of lets say £100 and then someone "makes an offer" or "best offer" of lets say £135, the seller usually rejects and asks for more.

I think you are missing the point. If a seller knows he/she has to accept an offer then their 'hidden reserve' will be the lowest price they are prepared to accept, therefore it will be over the £135 in your example (above), therefore saving the buyer absolutely nothing. If you really had spent 2 years doing your research you'd know exactly how sellers work the system.

I am a bit puzzled as to how you can sell this idea when all you have done is taken away the choice of which format a seller can use to trade their items, (giving us less but trying to tell us it's more.. ) as i'm sure you're aware if you have no sellers you have no listings, and therefore nothing to encourage new members to join.

As for fees, i think a minimum of £1 per item just for listing alone is not going to entice many people to give it a try, there are lots of start-ups that offer free listing, and a very small FVF, why would i pay £1 to list an item that probably won't sell.

Just so we know the score, i take it you are the same johnem that's touting a new site you've found 'thats absolutely nothing to do with you' on various other forums, housepricecrash for one. Maybe honesty and integrity aren't your strong points.

Incidently, just for the record, much to my disappointment i don't actually own eBay i just used it as an example... Rolling Eyes

Good luck with the project,
but i think you'll have your work cut out selling this one.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
johnem

H Terminator.

Thanks again for your reply; you are exactly the type of person my message was aimed at.
As you know the site isn't live for around 4 weeks and as I put on my message feedback would be appreciated. This is to gains ways I can improve before going live.
I have everything in place, and feel the best place to get more information is you the customer. Fees are a very touchy subject so we have to have a starting point, the site is fluid and over time will evolve and we will introduce new ways for the customer to do business, and even more of a profit.

I am the same johnem and honesty and integrity are very much my strong points. I am looking for cheap and cheerful ways of getting exposure, Money for me is very tight, and I am always looking for a bargain, and always when I do business I place a cheekyoffer in, as do many people. Probably like yourself. So I am glad to see that you have seen me on House crash. With I bit of luck the name alone is getting out their.

As with most people who place items on auction site they do place a reserve price, The customer has no idea what this is, so when the buyer places an offer the sellers decides to except or not.
As for “buy it know” that is simple like going to your local store and buying an item. There are no benefits.

This doesn't happen with us. The buyer places a cheekyoffer in, and if it is on or above the reserve it's sold. If it is not on or above the buyer has 5 chances in any one 24hours to try and reach the reserve. Other people will also be placing offers on the same item, so this is were the battle begins. If you want something bad enough you will make sure you place the offer in at the right price. Knowing that it will be yours and knowing that waiting is no longer an issue.
People buy items for x and are happy to sell them for x. although they usually hold out for more, but this extra time is money. With cheekyoffer we know have the power to buy and sell quickly and still make great profits, please the customer, and see lots of return business.

My battle is getting the seller to understand that an item they have, can be sold at the “price” that they would be happy to except.

Sellers win as the reserve price is the actual price they are after, but again it is sold a lot quicker, therefore they have larger turn around of stock, and they can sell as many as they like in they same time as they would more than likely only sell one. This in turns means a better purchase price and greater profits.

The biggest buzz a buyer gets, is knowing that they have just made a cheekyoffer and it has been excepted

We also allow people looking for a cheap hotel room for the night/ weekend etc, to view regional hotels pick the one they like. View the hotels “rack rate” and then place a cheekyoffer in. Again this sells rooms that only have 24 hours shelf life and allow the customer to grab a real bargain,

I do hope you can see the advantages of this, and not assume that it is like all of the others as it isn’t.

Many thanks again Terminator

Best regards
John M

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
skwatty

Hi johnem,
I've been reading through your posts, and I have to disagree with Terminator.(a bit risky as I've read some of his previous posts)
It's clear you have spent a long time working out a fair format, maybe trying to get as close to a live auctionroom style as possible. We went through the same process when setting up our site, but eventually we gave in to logic and statistics. The best format is the one that everyone knows and uses, its just the fees that are the problem. Although we do have an anti-sniping format on ours.
Also, as a start-up, you may not get the volume of buyers for a while that will be outbidding each other for the same item.
I wish you all the success with your site, theres' room for all of us.

Skwatty

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
johnem

Hi Skwatty.

I really do appreciate your comments.

I have spent allot of time and money on this and the site looks the business. It is a bespoke site, so you will appreciate the cost.

Although we are not live yet, but the launch page is, were you can register. We already have over 300 registered. Also we have some very major retailers on board. From Cars to electrical goods and many many hotels.

We also have contact with major TV shopping channels.

Although fees are an issue we are trying to create a great shop format for the small and larger traders to achieve low commissions with high sales.

If you have any further input it will always be appreciated, good or bad.

Thanks again.
John

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
redrob

You say you have spent two years doing some research I say what you have come up with is a load of rubbish sites are all ready offering this your site does not look professional and it is not secure you are not even registered as a business there is not even any terms of conditions or policy your site looks fake and one I would stay well clear of.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
johnem

Hi Redrob,

I have read lots of replies you have made on many other topics and they all read the same. Do you copy paste it? You seem to be obsessed with "you are not even a business". And "your site doesn’t look professional"
I feel it is a shame people like you would rather berate people who are willing to try, than say well done.
Have another good look at the site. It is a very professional Launch page. As you can see from the CTM logo, and tag line allot of effort has gone into that alone.

I can appreciate that lots of people are trying to put together sites. A good example would be electronicenterprise.co.uk.
A site that has been around for a long time with no more than 5 items on it. I am not going to say that it is a poor looking site as someone I am sure is putting allot of effort into it and not getting very much of a return

As you read from my other replies and from Skatty's reply there is plenty of room for other sites. I just feel you should really try and be a little more focused on your own site, and stop trying to deter people away from new quality sites that have a very big future.

Thanks for your input

John

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Terminator

skwatty
I try to be constuctive, but at the end of the day it's just an opinion.. of no more, or no less value than any others.

redrob
Give the bloke a chance.. the main site is not even up there, and he's not trading yet so even you would have trouble sueing him for non-disclosure.. which is a thorny issue and has been discussed many times before, suffice to say that although it is a requirement it has far too much emphasis put onto it, it's so easy to circumnavigate by using little more than a mail forwarding company's address as your own, i see that service is now being advertised to sole traders and partnerships, so it is close to valueless to the consumer now.
I feel johnem has a valid point, maybe you need to focus on your own website rather than purely rubishing others.

johnem
I think you are stretching things a bit by implying that redrob knows how to cut and paste.... he's the site clown and is always good for a laugh, just don't take him too seriously.

Although i may come across as sounding a bit arrogant at times i do try to be constructive with my comments when possible, but remember it's only an opinion... no more, no less.

We'll find out in time whether your new format will sink or swim, and as they say 'Variety is the spice of life', so it will be interesting to see how it all develops in the longer term.

Terminator

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
johnem

Hi Terminator.

Thanks for that last reply, and as you say variety is the spice of life, and my new site is going to be definitely that. It will be something a little different. Trying to get people like Redrob to look and think "out of the box" is sometimes an uphill challenge in itself.

I am new to running internet sales sites; although I do have a great team working with me, so all opinions good or bad, to me is positive input.
I have been running several businesses for many years, so I do have lots of experience in dealing with "clowns" I take there negatives as a positive, as it encourages me to not end up like that/them and praise people for trying.

Time will tell how things turn out, but I am a big believer in not re-inventing the wheel, but making modifications that improve it.

Thanks Best regards
John

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Just Auctions

johnem wrote:
Also, I think it would be a good idea to talk Fees.

Most sites out there especially one of the leaders, charge extortionate fees because they have the monopoly. And I know you will agree with that.
It is time that someone else came into the market and set a new standard for fees and we are going to do that.

Lots of others have no upload fees, but charge high commissions. Or vice versa.

At Cheekyoffer™, we have a very simple fee structure. Upload fees are:(Cars and hotels do vary)
3 levels:
1. Basic, you upload up to 4 pictures and up to 80 words all for only £1. No matter what the product.
2. Intermediate, you upload up to10 pictures up to 200 words and a choice of many different marketing options i.e. bold etc, all for only £2. No matter what the product.
3. Professional, you upload up to 20 pictures, unlimited words and you can have every possible marketing option, all for only £4. No matter what the product.

Commission on sales: Again this is very simple: (cars and hotels do vary)
7 levels:
1. A selling price of £0 up to £49 = 2.5%
2. A selling price of £50 up to £99 = £1.50 that’s between 3% and 1.5%
3. A selling price of £100 to £199 = £2.00 that’s between 2% and 1%
4. A selling price of £200 to £299 = £3.00 that’s between 1.5% and 1%
5. A selling price of £300 to £499 = £4.50 that’s between 1.5% and 1.1%
6. Above £500 = £10.00 that’s 2% or less
7. No sell, No fee

Now that is a very simple and a reasonable price structure.

Thanks Again and best regards
John

Hello

I would like to suggest you visit our website www.ozyonline.com.au or www.justlower.com.au please

We have designed a SEO specific website with no fees to those that use not extra features and there is no final value fees ever because we haven't even added that facility within out website struture when we built it.

We also offer the 1st 200 sellers with 10 items or more a $2000.00 credit to their account so they can use all the extra features for free.

Our fees comapred to *bay are quite a difference, take home page coverage for example..they offer it for 45.00 plus, we offer it for 2.50au.

Big difference.

Plus we have a forum added to the site where you can find answers..

all website members and visitors can use this forum in conjuction with selling items on the website.

actually both our websites have their own forum.

As for Cheeky's idea ,, good luck with your venture, Their are quite a few of these types of auctions out there popping up these days, even we looked at starting one up but,,,,thats all I can say on this matter as I wish you luck.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
johnem

Thanks Just Auctions for your comments.

I like the sound of no fees, but you have to remember, we at cheekyoffer are providing a different format. With the exception of fees, your site is the same as all of the rest, an auction site.

We are a site that allows the buyer to be in control of the price they pay. Not wait on someone else to dictate the price by adding and extra £ or 2 to the hidden reserve. The first cheeky offer to be on or above the hidden reserve, has bought the item, no more waiting around for days or weeks.

As our site isn't live yet, we still have time to implement many additions such as reduced or zero fees.

I do think that our site is totally different to all of the sites out there. No one allows you to place offers in and the cheekyoffer made on or above the reserve has bagged themselves a cheekyoffer.(bargain)

Within our format, you are only allowed 5 Cheekyoffers in any 24hours, that allows people to place a realistic cheekyoffer in, as oppose to incrementing in pennies to find the reserve. If they want an item enough and have used there daily credits, they can buy more for a very small fee.

We are giving all current registered users and new registered users the chance to be entered into a monthly draw. The 50 winners will receive £20,000 ($40,798.17Au) of cheekyoffer credits, which they can use to make Cheekyoffers on all of the items they desire.

From most of the replies we are receiving, I thing we have a few people worried. Remember there is room for us all!

Thanks and take care
John
www.cheekyoffer.com

[/list]

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Just Auctions

johnem wrote:
Thanks Just Auctions for your comments.

I like the sound of no fees, but you have to remember, we at cheekyoffer are providing a different format. With the exception of fees, your site is the same as all of the rest, an auction site.

We are a site that allows the buyer to be in control of the price they pay. Not wait on someone else to dictate the price by adding and extra £ or 2 to the hidden reserve. The first cheeky offer to be on or above the hidden reserve, has bought the item, no more waiting around for days or weeks.

As our site isn't live yet, we still have time to implement many additions such as reduced or zero fees.

I do think that our site is totally different to all of the sites out there. No one allows you to place offers in and the cheekyoffer made on or above the reserve has bagged themselves a cheekyoffer.(bargain)

Within our format, you are only allowed 5 Cheekyoffers in any 24hours, that allows people to place a realistic cheekyoffer in, as oppose to incrementing in pennies to find the reserve. If they want an item enough and have used there daily credits, they can buy more for a very small fee.

We are giving all current registered users and new registered users the chance to be entered into a monthly draw. The 50 winners will receive £20,000 ($40,798.17Au) of cheekyoffer credits, which they can use to make Cheekyoffers on all of the items they desire.

From most of the replies we are receiving, I thing we have a few people worried. Remember there is room for us all!

Thanks and take care
John
www.cheekyoffer.com

[/list]

Hi

like I stated before we looked into your type of auction site also and also looked at the many like yours already out there. I don't like to leave negative feedback because I feel everyone has to right to have a go no matter what,, some work,,Some don't..

Thats business and entering into a new venture is never easy. We should know as we run 12 websites. But we are a number of owners from different walks of life who have all the financial backup and expertise with working on the internet.

We have only just started with auction sites ourselves and what you have to remember is that your trying to sell a product to sellers that even though they are not happy with *bays way of upping fees, eBay has that exposure that we don't, business is business at the end of the day and it's all about making money.

This is why our auction site is designed and can offer things that eBay don't but at the same time offer the seller something that helps solve the complaints they have with *bay.

*bay has the monopoly at the moment and will have for a long time to come, But lets not forget that they took 2 years before they managed to kick things off and where also amounst the first auction site on the internet. They had the advantage. It took a couple of years after that for others to realise that they had a good thing going. So sellers (although i think they overlook or forget how *bay got to where they are today sometimes) will not just opt and leave *bay just like that. but they do need to maybe be a little more understanding to new commers and stop saying things like(you have no exposure), (Nor did 8bay when they started and if truth be know *bay started under a different name in it's first 2 years and built *bay on the side without anyone knowing while which gave them a chance to see what viewres wanted.

They have had years to get to where they are now and like google pratically own those sellers and made it very hard for them to leave because everybody is trying to do what *bay is doing but without the exposure. This will always be the case.

This is why we have designed (Although still an auction site) something that offers the ability to compete with eBay without it being excatly the same as *bay.

Then we have the other auction site that is also complete different again. justlower.com.au On this auction site both the seller and owner make money but at the same time offer something cheap to the buyers.

So anyway my point is you are aiming at the wrong crowd when trying to convince sellers on such a small venture like yours.

Your best bet since you don't have any money backup resources is to stick to your local area to start with, Use and promote the local businesses in your local area by using their items on your website. This will allow you to time to get established without trying to convince auction site sellers that you can deliver something that really doesn't benefit them at all.

Once you have worked with your local area for a few years and shown that you are still and bring in the viewers, then offer this to auction site sellers and expand your business.

like I stated we have looked into starting up your type of site and well,,the rest is up to you ,,,

Just keep in mind that you don't want to go around offering something that is going to make you look good. it's the sellers and viewers that use your site you want to promote not you.

this is just my opinoun and a few small tips on doing business and not ment to derade you of what you are doing in any way.

good luck
cheekyoffer 
  Auction Forum Index » New Auction Sites