Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Auction Forum Index Auction Forum Index
Free Articles, News, Tips & Support for online auction users worldwide!
Your Relaunched Auction Forum Offering Free Online Auction Help & Advice...

Auction Lotwatch Auctions Home Auction Forum Index Register Memberlist Search Free Auction Tools

Auction Forum Index » Auction News » eBay Seller Sues Autodesk for $10 Million
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   View previous topic : View next topic 
eBay Seller Sues Autodesk for $10 Million 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Steve - Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lawsuit has been filed in Federal Court (US District Court for the Western Washington District C07-1189 JLR) that alleges Autodesk, Inc maker of the industry standard AutoCAD software and their attorney Andrew S. Mackay have devised an illegal scheme to have used copies of their software removed from the eBay site using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The law passed in 1998 was designed to give intellectual property rights owners a way to have content removed from the internet that violates copyright law. An example would be a television show uploaded to YouTube without permission from the production company. The right to sell an item that has been legally purchased is protected under copyright law. The first sale doctrine allows an individual to transfer ( i.e. sell, giveaway etc.) a lawfully made copy of an item without permission once it has been obtained. The doctrine has been part of US law since the Supreme Court recognized it in 1908 and covers everything from books and DVDs to clothing and automobiles.

Autodesk is using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to have legal copies of their software removed from eBay so they can sell more new copies. The latest version of AutoCAD software is around $4,000 a copy. Autodesk's lawyer, Andrew S. Mackay states "AutoCAD software is licensed, not sold and that license is not transferable." AutoCAD software is available for purchase at most major software retailers. There is no indication your purchase would be different from any other until you get it home and open the box. There is a piece of paper tucked inside that says it is a licensing agreement with the statement "by opening the sealed software packet(s), you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this license agreement". This is called a "shrink wrap" contract. It cannot be read until you open the package which according to the contract constitutes agreement. US courts have not held a "shrink wrap " contract to be valid. Furthermore the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is only intended to enforce copyright violations, not breach of contract.

The lawsuit also alleges perjury since the notice that was sent to eBay is required to be signed under penalty of perjury and fraud. Using illegal means to make a legal gain (i.e. sell more new copies) is a civil definition of fraud. Autodesk's attorney Andrew S. Mackay is currently under investigation (# 07-24456) by the California State Bar Association for his actions in this matter.

Timothy S. Vernor, a Seattle resident, filed the suit when his eBay account was suspended after Autodesk sent eBay five takedown notices over a two-year period. For seven years he has made his living selling used items on eBay under the user name happyhourcollectables and has positive feedback comments from over ten thousand satisfied customers posted on the eBay site. He says "I tried to reason with (Autodesk) but they just would not take me seriously until I filed the suit."

###

Any interesting twist and will be good to see what happens next!

Cheers

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Enthusiast

As you say it's an interesting twist but I have yet to see any software sold other than on a licence basis. So unless AutoCAD is the first bit of software someone buys (which is unlikely) it would perhaps be difficult for anyone to argue they are buying anything other than a licence to use the software. Even Windows is sold on this basis. But US law is quite different from ours so whatever happens in that case would not necessarily be replicated here.

I suspect what really lies behind the case is yet again the problem of counterfeit software. The seller referred to is no doubt selling genuine 2nd hand items but the majority of software on offer on auction sites is counterfeit. On a certain UK site a few weeks after Vista was introduced there were several sellers offering it at £5 or less. Genuine - I don't think so. And that site wasn't eBay (they may have been on there too - I didn't look).

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Steve - Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes agree with you on the licencing issue but I think one of the gripes
is that they used the DMCA to have the software removed from sale.
Selling the software is after all not breach of Copyright but breach of
contract.

Cheers

Steve
eBay Seller Sues Autodesk for $10 Million 
  Auction Forum Index » Auction News